Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 49

The weather report for July 21st, 2009: rain. Lots and lots of rain. Rain to last for days. Don't plan on gardening, there won't be any ground.

Ugh. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE a good, rainy day ... provided I can sit inside, wear my PJs all day, eat a big ol' bowl of soup, and vegg out like mad. However, HFFC doesn't come equipped with rain checks. I hit CCC fairly late (9:30 is late in the day for me; I used to sleep right past that without a blink ...) and did my strength training and a cardio. Then, as a show of good faith, I went to the LRAC to try the really-spiritual-and-hippie-esque yoga class again. BAD CALL.

One of the other yoga class members, an Indian woman, had brought in a co-worker of her husband's who is (and I kid you not) an Expert in Breathing. And for 30 FRICKIN' MINUTES, he taught us how to breathe. I swear to you, I nearly got up and walked out. I don't come to yoga to breathe through my feet, or with my bandas, or down my legs - I come to yoga to stretch and unwind. And today, it just frustrated me. We didn't even do savasanna (our 10 minutes of laying down under a blanket and relaxing). We just took Child's Pose for a minute! Let it be known: I am not. Going back. To that class again. I suppose that'll be one of the biggest perks of yoga at the Y - it's a Christian institution, and thus it should be all about the stretches without all the spirituality.

Today, a triumph: I no longer have to take my Glucophage! When they first started me on it years ago, I was told I'd take it all my life! Now, granted, I don't get to quit because I went to a check-up and my doctor diagnosed me as healed; I kinda-sorta quit taking it a while ago because it made me so sick. I just hadn't fessed up to my doctor yet because I thought I'd get in trouble and they'd up my dosage to make up for lost time. However, I finally confessed, and since it hasn't made a bit of difference whether or not I take Glucophage, my doctor has conceded that I don't have to take it anymore, provided I continue to lose weight and my monthly cycle stays regular. Whoo-hoo! Getting off the Glucophage was one of my overarching weight-loss goals, and I've hit it only 7 weeks in!

Food was also a triumph today. Well, 2/3 triumphant, anyway. Breakfast was South-Beach-approved blueberry pancakes, lunch was an attempt at potato soup (total fail), and dinner was an AMAZING chili recipe from the Biggest Loser cookbook. I inhaled my serving, and had another 3/4 of a serving for a late-night snack. Delicious stuff. I'm just imagining coming home in the winter after my super-late J-Mad class and heating up a big ol' bowl of chili. Can't wait.

It's so hard to focus on the program these last two days, my mind's already fixated on what comes after. On a new couch and a proper table in my apartment; on a semester's worth of writing courses; on my grad school duties; on seeing my friends full-time again; on living my new life. It's so close, and it still seems far away. I know if I can stop focusing on it and just live day to day, it'll get here sooner ... 

1 comment: