Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 30

So, the life-changing, foot-saving little inserts I was ordered to wear? They do support my foot nicely. They also make my toes go numb if I exercise in them for over 20 minutes. Agh ...

I have, however, taken a new approach to the whole torn-plantar-fascia bit: a little less "forever" and a little more "for now." I have to wear these inserts and take this anti-inflammation pill ... for now. I have to give up my Southern, barefoot ways ... for now. I have to deal with numb toes ... for now. But once my foot heals? I'm going back to my old ways.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not one to ignore the doctor's orders! It's just ... for twenty years now, I've been flat-footed and content. I've done a whole range of taekwondo forms and non-contact sparring on these flat feet with no pain. I've walked all over campus on these flat feet with no pain. Hell, four years ago I trained for and went on a week-long backpacking trip on these flat feet - with no pain! (Yes, I used to be fit enough for that, and don't think I'm not kicking myself for not keeping up with that workout regimen ...) 

I suspect what hurt my foot so severely was doing cardio on hardwood flooring and not on an exercise mat, doing so in an unfamiliar and thus less coordinated manner (earth-mother dancing rather than straight-up martial arts), and doing so barefoot while weighing my heaviest. I do have little feet, and they can only take so much. So once I lose some weight and promise not to dance barefoot on hardwood floors anymore ... seems to me I can go back to my bare, flat feet and be damn happy about it!

Aside from the numbness, today was pretty good ... water aerobics was Aqua Zumba today, which was amazingly fun! It was good stress relief to work out and move my body like that, and even better stress relief driving home from CCC later in the day: cranked the windows down and the music up, and sang the whole way home. Gotta love the theraputic power of shouting along to the Beastie Boys ...

Went to see Public Enemies this afternoon, which was ... alright. I really expected something different from it ... more of a rise-and-fall crime flick than a just-the-fall bio-pic. Still, Depp and Bale were absolute badasses. Had some great moments in it. Had a hard time ignoring the popcorn this time, though; they were popping a new batch when we arrived, and my taste buds totally jumped to conclusions. Had to ignore it and munch on the Clif bar I brought instead. For dinner, we hit Dad's favorite Italian restaurant, Grafitti's, and I once more had to behave myself. Grilled chicken Caesar salad and a bite of garlic bread, rather than the farfalle alfredo and lots of bread. Being good is hard sometimes ...

Tomorrow, I get a bit of a day off! I'm doing a free cardio/weights around 9 tomorrow (means i get to sleep in 'til 8!), and then we're off to join our friends the Sterns at the lake all day. We're coming back in the evening, so I'll get a post up for sure; it may be late, but it'll be there. Night guys!

2 comments:

  1. My dad has had flat feet for 50 years and never any problems. He had a doctor once that told him walking on the sides of his feet (with the soles pointed toward each other) would help, but I'm pretty sure that doctor was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's reassuring to know most foot doctors give strange advice. Makes me feel better about my decision!

    ReplyDelete