Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 7

Today brought a *minor* hitch in the plan, as those of you on facebook may have seen:

"Megan writes, 'Dear my right foot, please please PLEASE don't be f*cked up. Seriously. I'm in a lot of trouble if you are. Sincerely, Meg."

Both of my feet were fine this morning through water aerobics and through yoga ... but halfway through Zumba-ing to the Cuban Shuffle, I felt that little point of pressure in the instep of my right foot again. I tried to work through it, but one song later the point had spread into my foot and was hurting like hell. I ducked out and dragged myself through 20 minutes on the treadmill before I broke down and made for the hot tub.

When I took my right shoe off and put my weight on my right foot, I felt this weird heat right at the point where the pain began, and after a moment it kinda slid and stretched throughout my foot, and then I panicked and shoved my foot in the hot tub. Hence the totally freaked facebook status.

I managed to make it through Sculpt, although I had to go really easy on any footwork. I did a lot of just standing and doing the arms, and I was almost always the only one doing so. I could tell the instructor was trying to dumb it down for me. It was frustrating; I just wanted to yell, "I AM NOT A NEWBIE! I AM FULLY CAPABLE OF DOING SQUATS AND LUNGES! MY FOOT JUST HURTS!" But instead I kept my cool and did what I could, and really worked my upper body and core.

On Mom's suggestion, I stopped off in the Physical Therapy center (the LRAC has a Physical Therapy center now! Who knew?) and told them what was going on. The physical therapist said I had strained my foot; it's basically my body's way of saying Back The F Off. For the next few days, I am not allowed to do Zumba or to walk as a workout; I am to stick to water aerobics, yoga, sculpt, and machines like ellipticals and bikes. It'll give my foot time to recuperate without handicapping my workout schedule.

They also suggested I alternately ice and heat it, and use something round to roll some pressure into the sore spots. So, when we got home, Mom whipped up this contraption.

Yeah, it kinda looks like a serious foot tumor. It's actually an Ace bandage wrapped around an ice pack ... and a tennis ball. No lie. Definitely helped put pressure on my foot, but the planning was a bit off. Mom wrapped my foot downstairs ... when the afternoon plan was for me to grab a nap upstairs. Hardest. Staircase. Ever. Thankfully, I didn't tweak anything else, and my foot should be better in a few days.

Food's still going well: I tried cottage cheese, after a hilarious verbal tug-of-war between my dad, who loves it and thought I would too, and my mom, who hates it and thought I would too. Turns out dad was right! Who knew? Dinner was a chicken Caesar salad - with real Caesar dressing and not fake stuff! South Beach diet's orders! Thank you, SBD ...

Also got to go out to the Rep with my parents to a corporate preview of their new show Tommy; it was odd, but good! I mean, all the music was The Who ... can't really go wrong. I brought along some carrot sticks and light dip as an appetizer, since all the stuff they had to offer was seriously not on my menu; being good's coming pretty naturally now. They did have little sourdough bread slices that were really calling to me, but I toughed it out. God, but I do miss bread ... oh well. After Phase 1, I can have them in moderation again. I can take it for now.

Today officially marks one week at HFFC! Overall, it's been easier than I expected ... I've eaten all but one or two things offered me, and I have yet to spit anything into a napkin. My body's adapting well to the workouts, and I've lost twice as much as I expected to in one week's time. I absolutely cannot wait to see where I am in another week's time!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a good first week. Don't be afraid to take lay off a little bit. Just like it being a good idea to have a cheat meal, its a good idea to have a cheat day where you lay off a little. I am so glad to hear things are going well. You are really an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Megan,

    I hope your foot feels better soon. Sounds like you have a real handle on it though.....
    Keep up your positive attitude.....I am so happy you decided to record all of this!

    ReplyDelete