Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 21

Today was a funny sort of day; managed to get all my workouts in by noon, which was nice. A four-mile walk at 7 am, water aerobics at 9, free cardio at 10, and yoga at 11. Not too shabby. I was completely whipped afterwards, but I inadvertantly rejuvenated myself. I drove my own car today instead of riding with Mom, and driving home I rolled down my windows, turned up my iPod, and sang along. Apparently, belting Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" all the way down Highway 10 is a hell of a pick-me-up!

So this afternoon, with all my workouts out of the way, Mom and I decided to go see a movie. We picked "Drag Me to Hell," since we both love a good horror movie and figured it'd be a laugh. Well. We got there like 10 minutes late, hustled inside ... and there was not a single person in the theater with us. Not a soul. Now at first, Mom and I are psyched - we're planning to MST3K the thing and really have fun. But then the movie started ... and while it wasn't scary, it managed to amp the tension up to the absolute breaking point and hit you with all sorts of pop-out scares. It became damn scary to be alone in there, with the whole empty theater around us and the mood so tense! At one point, Mom looked at me and went, "I have to go to the bathroom, but I feel like one of us will get killed if we split up!"

And do note that the film was a Raimi bros brainchild. The Raimis have a lot of skill, but they've also got a mean streak a mile wide when it comes to landing their scares. They'll pull the lowest blows possible just to make you jump! I wouldn't have put it past them to station someone in the vacant row behind us to grab my shoulder at key moments ...

The tipping point happened like 30 minutes or so into the movie, when the cursed girl first goes to her house. The cinematography made a biiiig damn deal of highlighting the girl's adorable pet kitten, mewing and cuddling and following her around. As soon as I saw the cat, I grabbed Mom's arm and whispered, "Oh shit, they are SO gonna do something horrible to that cat!" Mom's reply? "I think there's a showing of The Proposal starting around now. Wanna sneak in?"

So, we wussed out and snuck into the chick flick. I've actually never theater-hopped before, so that was kinda fun. The movie was cute, pretty typical ... just not what I was in the mood for. I wanted something scary/funny, but I wanted other people around me while I watched it!

The food situation today was great - I had tuna on whole wheat for lunch, and a hamburger patty with green beans and cous-cous for dinner. I feel so much better now that I've got a few carbs worked back into my diet ... can't wait to see if the effort pays off.

So! Today officially marks the end of week 3. I'm amazed by how fast time is passing ... at this rate, I'll be through with HFFC in no time, back home, and working into my new lifestyle. I really am enjoying this progress, but at the same time, I can't wait to get home and see all my people again! I miss you guys like mad, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment