Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 3

I'm really getting into the swing of things now: finally did my full four workouts today. We've decided on a proper schedule - Monday through Friday is four workouts a day, Saturday is three workouts, and Sunday is two workouts. Should make a good balance, I think.

Today's workout schedule was intense, but worthwhile. I got up at 7 am, had a Zumba class at 8 (which rocked - they played songs like Sexy Back and Miserlou. It's so much easier to anticipate changes in moves when you know the changes in the music), then a 9 am water aerobics class (of which I was the youngest participant by many decades), then an hour's break to soak out some soreness and have a quick snack, then an 11 am yoga/stretch class (the last ten minutes involved laying flat on my back, under a blanket, listening to the instructor tell us to relax. I straight-up fell asleep). It was a perfect balance of cardio, strength training, and flexibility training, and it freed up my whole afternoon! Then all I had to do was work in an evening cardio to finish up.

Also, even though I swore I'd behave and not check my weight every time I hit the LRAC, I couldn't help but hop on the scale today. I weighed in at 230 lbs. No lie! I have dropped seven pounds in just a few days! It's mostly water weight, sure, but still! I'm psyched - I hadn't expected such a sudden change, but it's so gratifying to see it. Now - I am not gonna check my weight again til Tuesday night, like I'm supposed to. If I post a weight update before then, yall are under strict orders to lecture me.

Food was less of a challenge today, too. I had to leave in a rush to get to my classes, so I ate a Clif Mojo bar instead of a proper breakfast. I was amazed at myself - the whole top layer was nuts and puffed rice, and normally I wouldn't have even tried eating it. However, hunger tends to change your perspectives considerably. I ate the whole thing in five minutes flat, no hesitation - and it was delicious! Clif bars definitely get to be part of my new diet. Lunch was a grilled chicken salad, so pretty basic - not bad, but still not what my body craves. Sorry, body, but this is the norm now. Get used to it. Dinner was homemade egg drop soup and stir-fry; turns out celery's not half bad when it's cooked.

I do have to say, the thing that has impressed me the most the last few days, moreso than how well I'm adapting and how quickly this is working, has been how supportive and vocal you all have been. My inbox has been flooded with facebook posts, messages, and blog comments - I knew you guys were behind me, but damn! Way to back a girl up! Even more gratifying is that I've had seven or eight people tell me they planned to start up healthier lifestyles too, following my example. To those of you asking for pointers - so sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, I've barely had a free minute to myself these last few days! I'll definitely contact those of you who wanted advice ... or maybe I'll add a paragraph to the blog detailing some tips and such. Would you guys appreciate that?

2 comments:

  1. Adding your tips would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg! Sorry I was without Internet for the week while I got settled in my new place, but I'm here now! I'm so proud of you for trying to get healthy, and I hope it continues to go well! Rooting for you!

    I'm trying to cook more this summer, so if you end up with any good recipes I'd love to hear about them. :)

    ReplyDelete