Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 5

Sunday Rundown:

Weight: 225 lbs
Total weight lost: 12 lbs

Bust: 45 1/8"
Waist: 40 1/2"
Hips: 52 1/2"
There - my "Before" pic, and the first of several progress pics I intend to post. Every Sunday, I'm going to take a new pic in the same clothes and take new measurements, and post them here so yall can see the physical changes in me. Definitely not loving how I look in that pic ... but my body's a work in progress right now. And I'm making some serious progress.

I attempted to climb Pinnacle this morning, but before we even reached the trailhead I realized we were making a mistake. I'm not quite in the shape I need to be to manage Pinnacle without risking leg or knee injury, especially not with my muscles as taxed as they are. Instead, we walked the base trail around the mountain, which ended up being a 3.5 mile walk. It was pretty rough toward the end, my feet are still shredded from my recent efforts. I hope they adjust soon, I can't coddle them forever.

In light of my foot pains, I bypassed Zumba for a 45 minute cardio, on the bike and then on the treadmill. After that was yoga, which I am still seriously loving. Amazingly, even as heavy as I am, I'm still flexible enough to do most everything the class requires and usually without having to modify it. Ending my exercise day with that kind of stretching and unwinding feels fantastic - I hope the Y back in Norman offers yoga. I so need these classes as a regular feature in my life.

Food's still going well, I went to a cookout with some family friends this evening and got to eat a bunless hamburger patty (with pickles and ketchup, thankfully). I had to resist the twin threats of chips and beer, though, and while I did steal one little chip to get a brief salt fix, I didn't grab a handful and I outright ignored the alcohol. It's getting easier to resist some of these temptations, although I can't wait until I can reincorporate a few carbs into my diet. I very much miss the carbs.

Overall, I'm feeling good ... healthier, in a way. My skin's cleared up, I'm sleeping better, and even my sore muscles feel pretty good, when I'm not overworking them. I'm so relieved that my body's adapted so well to this schedule; I'm learning how to push myself to my limits without overdoing it. My biggest fear is to push it too far and hurt something - if that happens, I'm out for awhile. I don't know when I'll have the time to do something this big again ... I've gotta make this count.

I have decided to stay here right up until grad school starts rather than go back to Norman in early August (sorry, Normanites!). I will be back a few times, though, to see my city and my people. I just feel like I may need all the time I can get here, and I want to make sure I go back to grad school as well-equipped as I can be to keep living my life healthily. I know that my weight loss will decrease, especially when I'm only working out once a day and incorporating a few more carbs, but so long as I keep trending downward then I'm not too concerned.

Tomorrow should be a good day - water aerobics, group cycling, and yoga, with my extra cardio worked in somewhere. Perhaps a late evening walk on the greens ... the course is closed Monday, and there's nothing as lovely as the golf course sans golfers.

2 comments:

  1. Even if the Y doesn't have yoga, I know for a fact the Huff does! I haven't taken yoga, but Lola and I took pilates there junior year, and it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The norman Y does have some yoga classes, and (when I did them several years ago) they were very good. I think you can see their schedule online, although they may not have the Fall one up.

    The Huff yoga was just a bit to hardcore than my normal style, but if you're doing it all summer it'd prolly be good.

    ReplyDelete