Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 11

Today could have been really bad: I slept kind of restlessly last night, so I was pretty worn-out this morning. To top it off, I woke up feeling really sore and cramped up ... definitely not good times. Thankfully, the weekends are low-intensity for me; I got my two morning workouts in, at least, and had a lot of downtime in the afternoon to let me unwind a bit. It feels good to be able to get these workouts done even on the days when I'd rather say, "the hell with it," and go back to sleep. That's something I definitely need to take back home with me.

Even on low intensity, my workouts were pretty taxing. Water aerobics was the little frizzy instructor again, and she called me out on having proper form on all my kicks and punches. She asked if I'd down land-kickboxing and I told her I used to do taekwondo, and all the little old ladies around me went, "Ohhh ..." It was kinda cute, they're all such funny little ladies. For my first free cardio, I did the recumbent bike again - but for 45 minutes this time! I was pretty proud.

Even with all that, though, I couldn't quite rally for my third and final workout of the day. I took a nap to try and shake off my pitifulness, and I napped pretty well - I've actually been staying in the guest room, rather than in my room, and the guest room makes for a damn good nap. Mom refers to it as the Cave, and pretty accurately so - you turn off the lamps and close the drapes, and even in the middle of the day that room becomes incredibly dark and cozy. Even with my great nap, though, I woke up feeling ragged. I feel guilty for not putting myself together and pressing on for my last cardio of the day, but my body just said no.

Lunch was tasty - tuna salad, made about the same way I usually make it, but eaten with a fork instead of on bread. I had a piece of cheese and some egg-drop soup with it, so I didn't feel too deprived without the usual bread and chips I associate with tuna. Also managed a full snack's worth of celery ... it's not bad, by any means, but it's just not carrots. Maybe I need to food-coloring them orange and fake my brain out.

Dinner was a real treat: oven "fried" chicken strips, "potatoes," and salad. The strips were battered in low-fat buttermilk and rolled in Panko breadcrumbs, and came out great - crunchy and tender, but without the greasiness I associate with regular fried chicken strips, and of course the "potatoes" were wonderful. That's another recipe that'll be making the trip home with me.

The thing I have found that I'm missing most these last few days is actually not my comfort foods, but my people. It's strange how out-of-touch I feel with everyone. I mean, I'm still on Facebook and AIM almost every night, and I've got a handful of ppl I'm regularly chatting with ... but even so, I still feel totally disconnected from my Normanites! I miss the town almost as much as anything else; I'd give anything to go for a walk around campus. Normanites: know that I'm missing you guys pretty seriously, and I wish I could do this program and still be in Norman enjoying the summer with all of you, and I cannot wait to make a triumphant return home to you all in August.

My tips for the day are about how to eat. Yes, it sounds kind of idiot's-guide, but really: how you structure your meal can greatly impact your eating habits.
  • Try to eat meals around the same time every day; it helps you maintain a more level blood sugar rate if you're eating regularly (I'm terribly guilty about just eating whenever the impulse strikes; I've had lunch as late as 3 pm some afternoons.)
  • Eat all three meals - no skipping breakfast to try and cut calories. Breakfast sets the tone for your day, and skipping it will leave you ravenous at lunch and thus more likely to make bad choices. (Also guilty, I almost never had breakfast during my four years of undergrad)
  • Avoid reading or watching TV during your meal; it'll train your brain to expect food anytime the TV's on or you have a book in hand. Sit down, eat, and then go do what it is you want to. (So, so guilty of this one ... if I'm eating by myself, I always have a book. I keep a paperback in my glove compartment just in case.)
  • Eat at a proper table - not in bed, not on the couch, not standing at the counter, and not even at your desk. You need to be sitting in a chair at a proper table. It cues your body that it's food time, and prevents you from expecting food unless you're at the table. (The only table in my apartment is a coffee table; I've eaten sitting on the floor, at the table, in front of the TV for nearly three years now. It's also where I sit to watch TV, game, and work on my laptop; thus, my body expects food every time I sit down.)
All four of those are personal issues of mine, and regulating them for the past week and a half has already helped cue a difference. I settled into bed to read a book on one of the first nights, and immediately my body demanded something salty to snack on. Now, I can read a book with only a little twinge of expectation. It's crazy how insidious these connections can become, but it's true. Condition your body to expect food only at a certain time and only in certain locations, and your eating/snacking habits will immediately begin to improve.

Hopefully after my relaxation this afternoon, tomorrow will feel a lot better. I'm gonna try to walk flat tomorrow and see how my gimpy foot takes it ... wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I'm missing my normanites too... you guys gotta road trip up here sometime =) It's really beautiful, and I could probably find room for you...

    ReplyDelete