Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 28

Holy crap, guys. Today marks a month. One month of eating right, working out, and improving myself. That's 22 lbs in 28 days ... who would've guessed this was so do-able??

Today's workouts were pretty good, although this one yoga teacher gets more and more spiritual/hippie every class. We spent 45 minutes doing moon salutations today! Just repeating the same sequence over and over and over until I just wanted to yell, "Okay! We're good! The moon's been THOROUGHLY saluted! Can we stop now??" She even tried to get us to do some Om-ing and mantra-chanting ... I just prayed under my breath. I'm all about yoga as a physical outlet, but the spirituality of it is totally beyond me.

I did manage to knock out my workouts by about 12:30, so I got the afternoon off to pick up my room a bit and go see a movie. Mom and I opted for Up again - it was the last day they were showing it in 3D, and we needed a good pick-me-up. I didn't even nap today, which is good. I need to be less nap-reliant. Means I should crash pretty properly tonight, too. After I do some gaming and watch a little of The Prestige, that is. Girl's gotta have her downtime.

Today's food situation was nothing new, although it was free meal night! We hit U.S. Pizza again; we'd considered doing the Copper Grill downtown, but since the soup I love so dearly there (Roasted Red Pepper) is not a regular menu item, we decided not to risk it and go for an old favorite. I ate considerably more salad and less pizza than last time ... but I still totally indulged in a couple slices of sausage pizza. There's no saying no to that.

So I've been thinking a lot about the last four weeks, and how much has changed, and how much is still to change. I mean, I've lost 22 lbs ... that's like, 88 sticks of butter. Or 3.8 gallons of Coke. Or 88 medium orders of fries. Or 55 million grains of rice.
 
Speaking of fries, one of my personal food vices, I've only eaten them once in four weeks. I haven't had chips except for once; I've had maybe four slices of bread, all one at a time and included in a sandwich; I haven't had a single non-diet Coke; I haven't gone on a snack binge and mindlessly munched my way through a bag of Goldfish. And the greatest thing? I haven't really missed any of it.

Sure, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to go to, say, Panera Bread and order a bread-bowl of broccoli cheddar and a Sierra Turkey sandwich with potato chips and a Dr. Pepper, but I don't feel it's essential. And I can have it, but not as a staple. Never again as a staple. This lifestyle change has definitely made eating out a treat again, whereas it was just the norm for so long. I remember one night shortly before my trip home to begin this change, I was trying to pick a place to go have some lunch. I thought over all my favorites ... and realized I'd eaten at each once already that week. That's unhealthy in several distinct ways.

It's so exciting to look in the mirror and preen, rather than adjust my posture and angle until I look more flattering. It's exciting to see people I know and have them comment on how different I look. It's exciting to feel my clothes fitting my body better, and then to start fitting worse again as I begin to dwindle out of them. Most of all, though, it's exciting to realize this is only the start of something great. I've lost 22 lbs; I mean to lose at least 60 lbs more over the course of the next year or so. I can't even begin to imagine how I'll look after I've lost 150 million grains of rice! ;)

Thank you, my bloggees, for sticking by me through this first month. Four more weeks, guys. Let's do this thing.

2 comments:

  1. Keep on going strong! I'm quite proud of your outlook and all that you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great! Go, Megan, GO!! :)

    ReplyDelete