Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 6

Sore, sore, sore ... but good-sore. Well, mostly good-sore. My glutes and quads are bad-sore, but that'll pass. I finally can see where I'm losing the weight from. Usually when I lose weight, my chest and my face are the first to show it. Now, my face does have a slight bit of a change in my cheeks, but my chest seems about the same so far. This time? It's my hips dropping weight. I was looking at them this morning, and I can both see and feel them be tighter and more toned. Now, they're still pretty curvy - and are always gonna be, I'm jut built this way - but they're already looking better than they did this time last week. I'm sure I'm losing belly fat too, but, well, there's a considerable amount of it. Maybe this time next week I'll be able to see that change.

I can feel a difference in my body, as well - my legs, my hips, my core all feel more toned and more solid. I've always had a solid muscle base even at my least athletic, but it's been awhile since I've made the effort to work hard enough for those muscles to toughen up and do their thing. The excess weight is still there, but I can see the muscles underneath, I can see the potential in my body. I just need to bring it out.

The coolest thing happened during water aerobics this morning. I got recognized! One of my blog's followers, Jenn, apparently showed her mom my blog, and her mom happened to be in class with me this morning. She made a point of coming over to tell me that she'd read all my entries and congratulated me on my efforts so far. It was really encouraging to have somebody come up to me like that; I'm curious to see if it'll happen again! Thanks Jenn, for getting the word out, and thanks to Jenn's mom for rooting for me!

My hardest workout today was by far the group cycling class. It was working my legs, and my back and core a bit, but I could've dealt with that if it weren't for my butt. That frickin' bike seat hurt SO BAD - it was all I could do to keep moving. Finally, I slipped out of class about halfway through ... and after like two steps, my butt went numb. Like when a limb falls asleep, and gets kinda tingly and numb? Like that, except my butt. It felt WEIRD. Thankfully, there was a Zumba class going on at the same time, so I slipped into it, worked the feeling back into my buns, and finished out my hour of cardio. It'll be a while before I go torture my glutes in spin class again ... yeesh.

My food situation today was amazing - I got to have scrambled eggs and bacon. One real egg, and two small strips of center cut bacon! It was transcendentally good, particularly after all the fake egg I'd tried. Lunch was just a Clif bar, since we were dashing from class to class, but it tided me over well. Dinner was baked chicken and broccoli which, shockingly, I ate! I ate broccoli! Happily! Now granted, I did convince Mom to pare down and steam the stems and let me eat them in favor of the florets - the texture of broccoli florets grosses me out seriously. The stems, however, I loved. So when I come back to Norman and start cooking for myself, I'm gonna have some florets up for grabs; who wants dibs?

And now for something completely different. *ahem*

Yesterday, driving home from the LRAC, Mom had a little bag of almonds she was munching on for a quick snack, and the following conversation ensued. Now, let it be known that while me and my friends may be college graduates or soon-to-be-graduates, our conversations still tend to be liberally sprinkled with "that's what she said" jokes. Thus, I'd like to call the following scene (based on true events!):

"A Mouthful of Nuts"
or
"A Quick Lesson in Connotation"

Mom: Want an almond?
Me: No thanks. Not really hungry right now.
Mom: Oh, you still don't like eating nuts, right?
Me: (mentally reverting to a twelve-year-old boy) *snicker* No, not really ...
Mom: Well, what is it about them? Do you not like the way they taste, or is it the way they're textured?
Me: (still being a twelve-year-old boy) *snort* I really can't say.
Mom: What, what's funny?
Me: (remembering I'm a college grad and mature and whatnot) Nothing.
*pause*
Mom: (determinedly) Before the end of these two months, you are gonna learn how to eat nuts.
Me: (twelve again) *laughing my ass off*
Mom: Whaaat?
Me: (still laughing) Um, Mom, is there any way we can go back to calling them almonds?

Hee, my sense of humor can be so cultured sometimes ... but not yesterday. =)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! keep up the great work! im sure i will be seeing you tons and tons at the club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aghghgh Megan, I adore you. When you are ready to publish this - I would like the opportunity to be your agent!! I love the 'almond' conversation with your mom!
    As far as the bike class - the exact same thing happens to my butt as well!! No biking for me....just not worth the torurous pain I must endure as a result. Do you think you will be trying it again?
    Keep up the great work and writing...
    You have our support!
    Sharon Altoff

    ReplyDelete